Roddy MacInnes, photographer extraordinaire
Roddy MacInnes will return to the Ellendale Opera house on Wednesday April 11 from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. to discuss his photography and newest book called a Family Album.
His book will be for sale at the Opera House. He will be available to sign and discuss his book in person.
This event is free and the public is invited.
Roddy would love to see all his friends and students from Oakes, LaMoure and Ellendale who were in his Artist-in-Residence program.
Roddy has had many shows throughout the world. Some of the most recent are listed below.
Though he’s lived alternative lives as a merchant seaman, fur trader, bush pilot and minerals prospector, to name a few trades, Roddy MacInnes developed an eye and love for photography as a boy in Scotland, and it’s become his oeuvre and daily diary as the years have passed. A keen documentarian of everyday life and personal ties, MacInnes has now collected some of that ongoing visual memoir in Family Album, a new book with a time-machine twist: His own family photos are juxtaposed with images from an album kept by North Dakotan Nina Weiste, circa 1917, that he found and fell in love with at a flea market.
"The value of photographs was apparent to me at a young age," MacInnes said. "The recollection of my family arranging and re-arranging themselves in front of the camera to memorialize happy events had a profound effect on the way I perceive the world. Since 1965, with varying levels of consciousness, I have been using photography to construct a reality of who and where I think I am."
Roddy is brought to the Historic Ellendale Opera House by the Humanities ND, Opera Inc. and the Ellendale Area Arts Council.
Roddy MacInnes most recent shows:
· “Interpretations of the Same Place” Atlantic Center, Isle of Luing, Scotland.
· “Two-Way Mirror”Regis University, Denver, Colorado
· “Jim River”Dairy Center for the Arts, Boulder, Colorado.
· “Jim River” Penrose Library, Denver, Colorado
· “The Cell Phone Never Lies” Two Hands Gallery. Boulder, Colorado 2010
· “The Cell Phone Never Lies” The Opera House Gallery of Art, Ellendale, N.D.
· “Jim River” Les Photographes Gallery. Paris, France 2009
· “Making History” The Opera House Gallery of Art, Ellendale, N.D.
· “ANTICIPATING NOSTALGIA” UMC Gallery, University of Colorado at Boulder, CO
· “REMEMBERING DAKOTA” North Dakota Museum of Art, Grand Forks, N.D.
· “JIM RIVER, SAD BUT SYMPATHETIC” 2 The Opera House Gallery of Art, Ellendale, N.D.
· "JIM RIVER, SAD BUT SYMPATHETIC” 2 Dakotah Prairie Musem, Aberdeen, S.D. 2007
· “ANDI, AN EXTENDED PORTRAIT” Instituto de Artes de Medellin, Medellin, Colombia, South America
· “JIM RIVER, SAD BUT SYMPATHETIC” The Arts Center, Jamestown, N.D.
· Corps of Discovery Museum, Yankton, S.D